Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Jim Elliot

Thank God for a good trip to the south last weekend! =)

we visited 2 SCFs in melaka, visited a youth service in kluang, and spoke at 2 youth services (i was the speaker for one of those), as well as 2 worship services in batu pahat. God is good. =)

last wednesday, i shared at our SU/FES prayer meeting about the life of Jim Elliot... and in one part of my sharing, we looked at some quotes from his journal. since i've already typed them, might as well recycle =P

hey, don't look down on recycled blog posts k. these words are powerful, if u take the time to read them and ponder over them...

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

One treasure, a single eye, and a sole master.

God, I pray thee, light these idle sticks of my life and may I burn for Thee. Consume my life, my God, for it is Thine. I seek not a long life, but a full one, like You, Lord Jesus.

Father, take my life, yea, my blood if Thou wilt, and consume it with Thine enveloping fire. I would not save it, for it is not mine to save. Have it Lord, have it all. Pour out my life as an oblation for the world. Blood is only of value as it flows before Thine altar.

Saturate me with the oil of the Spirit that I might be aflame. But flame is short-lived. Canst thou bear this, my soul? Short life? In me there dwells the spirit of the Great Short-Lived, whose zeal for God’s house consumed Him. “Make me Thy fuel, Flame of God.”

Are we willing to build with a trowel in one hand, while the other grasps a sword?

Father, if Thou wilt let me go to South America to labour with Thee and to die, I pray that Thou wilt let me go soon. Nevertheless, not my will.

How few, how short these hours my heart must beat – then on, into the real world where the unseen becomes important.

Of the coffin: a swallowing up by Life. For this I am most anxious.

...don’t let the sands of time get into the eye of your vision to reach those who sit in darkness. They simply must hear. Wives, houses, practices, education, must learn to be disciplined by this rule: “let the dead attend to the affairs of the already dead, go thou and attend the affairs of the dying”.

“We are the sheep of His pasture. Enter into His gates with thanksgiving and into His courts with praise.” And what are sheep doing going into the gate? What is their purpose inside those courts? To bleat melodies and enjoy the company of the flock? No. Those sheep were headed for the altar. Their pasture feeding had been for one purpose: to test them and fatten them for bloody sacrifice. Give Him thanks then, that you have been counted worthy of His altars. Enter into the work with praise.

I must not think it strange if God takes in youth those whom I would have kept on earth 'til they were older. God is peopling Eternity, and I must not restrict Him to old men and women.

Only I know that my own life is full. It is time to die, for I have had all that a young man can have, at least all that this young man can have. I am ready to meet Jesus.

Wherever you are, be all there. Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God.

i really admire Jim Elliot for his focus; his single-minded devotion to love, follow and serve God to the very end. i might not fully agree with everything he says, but in this aspect of his life i want to emulate him. google him if u have no idea who he is or what he did. i promise (from my point of view anyway), it's well worth your time to get acquainted with this man of God.

No comments: